Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Knitting (just a little) and Reading (just a little)


Life is so busy and full right now with planning the school year, harvesting from the garden, finishing up the fire wood, and trying to remember to embrace these beautiful August days with some special activities.   In addition our business is busy with fall wedding orders.

So... knitting has been very scattered (kind of like my brain).  My current projects are filling the fruit bowl - the two vests from last week and a cuddle doll that needs finishing.

Mike and I have been discussing more from The Resilient Farm and Homestead, in particular, growing rice.  It also just so happens that  a homestead friend mentioned the idea to me as well knowing we have a lot of wet land on our property.    Shortly after we moved here, I took on the job as  the librarian at our local library (open just 8 hours each week) and  I was able to meet many of the "locals".  Which  resulted in becoming friends with some of the more hard core "living off the land" types as they still use the library computers:)  I am thankful for their wisdom as most of them have been around since the 80's or so living up in the hills and have lots of experiences to share.  

Joining in with Ginny.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up on a rice farm along the Texas Gulf Coast. I remember it was hard work, long hours and we did not have much money.
    I also remember simple ways, lovely days and a gentle life.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a little busy here, my son is home for three weeks so I'm enjoying the house being a little fuller than usual. Once the end of August comes around I'll have plenty of time for me. Have fun being busy with the mid summer stuff!! Love the orangish brown yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya,
    That looks like a good book. I could read homesteading books all day long. :)

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete