Friday, August 2, 2013

August




"August is the year at early harvest, a farm wife with a baby napping in the crib, preserving kettle on the stove, fryers in the freezer, new potatoes in the pot, and a husband in the hayfield baling the second cutting.  August is tomatoes ripening and the insistent note of the cicada punctuating the heat of midafternoon.  August is the smell of corn pollen, and the taste of roasting ears, and the stain of blackberry juice on the fingers."

From - Sundial of the Seasons by Hal Borland

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh. August. One of my favorite months. Winter snow still seems far, far away and the days are still long and full of promise.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, those words are so true. Thankfully my husband was with me yesterday at the local farm stands. He reminded me there is only so much I can do in one day. So I will go again in a few days to pick up more goodies. One new to us farm stand has the largest variety of heirloom tomatoes I have ever seen. Have you heard of pineapple tomatoes? Not me until yesterday. Anyone know of a way to use them other than salsa. That is all I can find online.

    blessings, jill
    new reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the new look of your blog. Lovely photos of the girls.

    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the month of my birth :) I don't favor August though...its too hot! You have some beautiful little helpers there....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy beautiful August days to you Tonya. You are very much in my thoughts. Sending love, and wishing letters... Renee <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed the headline of your blog right now and it made me smile. Far from plain you are, Tonya. I am happy you keep sharing little snippets of your life!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete