So excited to be sharing another year of a mostly handmade holiday with you.
Let me start by sharing why I believe in making handmade or supporting other small businesses.
- Shopping local, supporting small businesses, and making for yourself is good for the environment. Think about all the miles saved with transportation, giant warehouses, less packaging.
- I challenge you to not support Amazon or Walmart. When money and power is consolidated in the hands of a few, by default we lose some of our freedoms - freedom of choice, whether it is in our political candidates through financial influence or the fact that they become a monopoly. Amazon is getting in the business of elections (through the cloud) and military supplies. Amazon has a contract with the CIA. Amazon continues to buy out smaller businesses which means that Amazon will determine pay scales, products and so much more. It is a scary situation and I challenge you to boycott them. I know it is hard. Sometimes I think how easy it would be to just place an order for that book I would love, or that product I need within 2 days, or the fact that Amazon is offering that product for much less than anywhere else. Our family lives on very little financially (perhaps might even be considered to live in poverty for a family our size) but we consider boycotting Amazon to be a principled sacrifice. Walmart is much the same with so them pricing out smaller businesses putting them out of business and much of their products being imported.
- There is something intrinsically special about making a gift for someone. As it is being made, it is fun to think about them and just the act of making is so satisfying.
- Supporting local businesses helps to feed a local family that is using their gifts to offer something unique to your community.
- There is something much more human about walking into a local store, seeing another human being, speaking to them, creating small talk, and getting to know others in your community. I am so afraid that we are losing some of our basic aspects of being human when we choose to do so much online out of convenience or to save money.
There are so many more reasons and I would love to hear yours.
If you search this blog in the search box, Handmade Holiday, you will find many posts of handmade ideas from years ago of sharing from blog readers. It is very inspiring!
Finally, please use #handmadeholiday2019 to share on instagram and/or leave your ideas in the comments with links if you have them!
Edited to add: These are my views and I do not judge others that choose to live or shop differently. Some of my adult children use Amazon and I still love them!!