Thursday, February 9, 2012

Knitting the Doll ... continued ...





Here is the first part from yesterday -
 If you would like to join along - I am using size 4 needles and worsted weight yarn - a simple natural wool. 
Cast on 10 stitches. 
Knit into the front and back of each - so there are now 20 stitches. 
Purl and then Knit alternating rows (stockinette stitch) until the one leg measures 5 inches long. 
Break yarn after finishing a purl row.
On same needle that is holding the first leg, repeat as above for the second leg.
When the second leg measures 5" and you have ended on a purl row -
Next row, knit across all 40 stitches - this will form the body. 


***And here is the new part***


Continue knitting in the stockinette stitch for the body for 4 1/4" then decrease for the neck as follows starting on a right side row  - Knit 4, knit 2 together, across the row
Next row - purl
Next row - Knit 6, knit 2 together
Next row - purl
Now increase for the head -
Next row - Knit 1, Increase by Knitting and front and back to the end of the row   - now there are 44 stitches on your needle
I have 3 inches knit so far for the head and am still working straight but will be doing the decreases soon and will share that next.


Warm wishes,
Tonya

5 comments:

  1. love the doll (but don't mind me) I LOVE the quilt underneath?!! Did you make it? I have always been a mad for plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your background quilt. I have been saving up all my bits of plaid fabric in a box to make a log cabin quilt but I haven't started it yet because I was thinking about just doing little stripes. Seeing yours makes me think I need to pull out my box and see if I can get started.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doll is so cute! I will check in to see how it turns out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tonya...you are making me want to get my needles and begin...

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Tonya,

    I found your blog through Karen A's...and I just love it! This doll is so precious...thank you for sharing the directions...I think I just might give it a try while we're sitting by the woodstove in the evening.

    A fellow New Englander! We live in a small fishing village on the coast of Maine...but my sister lives in St. Albans, Vermont...so I am very familiar with your area! It is so beautiful over there...you are truly blessed.

    I have really enjoyed my visit to your blog. I will be back soon!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete