Monday, February 18, 2013

Goal Making and Interest Led Learning






We have been a homeschooling family now for officially over 12 years and I still find it really important to remind myself of the reasons we are learning at home.

One reason we homeschool is for the children to be able to pursue their interests - their strengths and gifts.  As Abby and Isaac enter or are in their teen years, I want them to be able to start thinking about what their goals are - for the future both far and near.   To that end, I have started to ask them to, each week, write down on a file in their laptops, their weekly goals consisting of the four areas - God, Family, Learning (their interests), and Health (active time).  

They are a bit hesitant right now, but I am hoping that this exercise will become easier with each passing week and that they begin to see even greater possibilities for themselves through the process of setting goals.

If you homeschool, do you work with your children to help them make their own goals and how has it worked for you?

Warm wishes,
Tonya

6 comments:

  1. Goal setting did not work so well for us- probably becauseI was not that organzed. This sounds like a smart idea- kuddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do homeschool, but are just in the beginning stage. I think this is a great idea and will benefit them now and in the future. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! My kids are still very little, and their main goals are "play with the science stuff" and "play toys." But, this seems like a great exercise to start when they are young, to help them learn to make their own goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle in this area too. I love that you are involving your children in their own goal setting. What a great life skill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have three teens, Tonya and my eldest is now studying Vet Nursing (and no longer at home) This has been one of her interests ever since she was little. She didn't always want to study but in order to get work/reasonable living wage one generally has to now (get qualifications). So that was one of her goals..to work (do subjects) towards going away to study. She also has always wanted a horse so when she was in her early teens and had a paper run to earn money she saved up and bought one...along with all the tack and costs associated with caring for an animal. We already had a number of pets so it became her "job" to look after them if I went away etc.

    On the other hand, my next daughter Sarah is very compassionate and would like to be a nurse. So that's her goal/interest and her schooling includes related topics Ie; health, science etc. If there is something she wants she will do jobs for me to earn money. She also has a keen interest in fashion and clothes and I would love for her to became more interested in MAKING her own clothes as opposed to wanting to buy them. I am praying that will come LOL!

    My son has from quite an early age expressed an interest in computers and saved his paper run money to buy/build his own computer. It was this interest that taught him to read! (as he wanted to know the information) and he has now built his second pc.

    I think goal setting based on individual interests is great for our kids. It has also helped ME to indentify who I am, what works for me, what I like and hope to achieve in the short term and the long term!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I peaked in here and scrolled doen. We also want to do interest lead focus learning. I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete