Friday, December 14, 2012

A Stocking for Emmy




I found a naturally colored wool blanket at a thrift store for $3.00 a few weeks ago and have been hand dyeing sections of it.  Using some of the green wool, some vintage lace a neighbor gave me, some fabric in my stash and some of our handmade hemlock buttons, I sewed Emmy a stocking.  I did make a mistake by not figuring out how to sew it properly so I could fold over the top section which resulted in the stocking being  longer than I would have liked. 

What last minute projects are you working on?

Warm wishes,
Tonya

7 comments:

  1. It's so lovely, what a wonderful heirloom for her. I'm off to make yellow pants and hopefully a mask for my son's end of session drama tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily's stocking is beautiful. I hope to learn to dye wool someday. I am slowing moving away from 'regular' cotton fabric, and would like to experiment with wool. My 24 yo Edward, would have been Emily...if he had been a girl. I have always loved the name Emily.

    Last minute projects? Oh, just about everything. I fear I thrive on pressure;-)

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya...I love your thrifty and beautiful stocking! Simple and sweet! I giggled at your idea of last minute gift making...for me, that is called Christmas Eve. I'm still thinking I can manage to knit up a mitten, a hat, dolly clothes, finish the dolly, make a new dolly, bind up a quilt AND do some crafting with the children. Hmmm...there are still 11 days left I hope!
    May your day be filled with projects completed and happy hearts!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! A treasure for a treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be times that you are thankful for that extra length... and times when you are trying to figure out how to make it look full! This year, the girls are getting much needed undergarments. The stocking will be stuffed to seam-splitting. :)

    Beautiful work. I love the simple, beautiful touches that always define your creations.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete