Monday, August 9, 2010

A Handmade Holiday


I have several projects to share today.

The first is a very simple playing card holder. I knit mine with worsted weight yarn and size 6 needles, cast on 14 stitches and knit every row until rectangle measured 9 1/2 stitches. Cast off.

Then I chose to personalize it by needlefelting the recipient's name. Be sure to do this before you stitch up the sides. Then you could either finish it by crocheting the edges or by hand sewing (the blanket stitch would look nice). I added a loop to attach a handmade button. This would also make a good project for children to make.

I will be making one for each member of our family except Abraham as finding a full deck of cards in our home seems to always be a challenge.

And now some ideas from others~

First, this pattern from Joy - A Play Knife Sheath.




And this wonderful post from Our Journey 'Round the Mulberry Bush about their whole family working together to make a Handmade Holiday.


Here is a tutorial to sew up some cloth napkins using your scraps.


Also, tote bags make a wonderful gift for nearly everyone on your list. With people more thoughtful about caring for the earth, a reusable and washable cloth bag would be a practical gift.

Here is a link for one pattern.

Here is a tutorial for some very simple, smaller bags. These would also be a great alternative to gift wrap.

Here is the page at this blog for the Handmade Holiday - be sure to visit the participating blogs and if you would like to be added or if your link isn't working, just let me know.

Please share in the comments your ideas and links or email me this week. (naturalearthfarm@netzero.net)

Warm wishes, Tonya

11 comments:

  1. Your card holder is terrific! I have made napkins before but I didn't think of that for holiday gifts. Thanks for the tote bag tutorial. I am always on the lookout for different bag ideas.
    I managed to cast on for my first gaiter. I am loving it. I think it will make a fine holiday gift.
    Thanks Tonya for getting me in gear. The lists and the commitment promise have helped me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Card holders - such a good idea!

    Thank you for keeping me inspired in my creating for the holidays (not easy on these hot August days)

    Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sheath! My little elves would love that for their swords~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Joy's pattern :) I would like to be added, I commented on the first post but I did't see me up there :) Thanks!

    Oh and yes,you are right, I did give you a hint of my news in the giveaway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! Sounds like you are on your way. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking that your card holder would also make a good cell phone holder, it looks to be about the right size. I cut off a button pocket on a pair of old jeans (they were thread bare in spots) and use it to hold my cell phone in my purse. It does make it a bit harder to get to when receiving a call, but I don't get many, it's more for "just in case" calls with me. I loved the small bag tutorial. I've been thinking of making up some gift bags with scraps of fabric. This is perfect.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to make cute little pouches like that. I think it could be nice as a little nature treasure sack the girls could make for their dad, Chloe and I could knit a couple and Chessa could help decorate. I really like how you added the needle felting onto it.
    I will have to explore the links some time soon.
    Thanks! Happy making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love the card holder!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Its so fun to see everyone's beautiful creations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hellow!

    I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.

    I have added your site to my site.

    Please link my site to your site.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete