Friday, July 9, 2010

From Garden to Table

We had purchased some organic bulghar wheat at the natural food store and I had Tabouli on my mind on this very hot day.

Skimming through my favorite cookbooks I came across a great recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.

So I took a stroll through our gardens to see what else I could find to include in the tabouli.

Here is what I found after a brief walk. I had already pulled, washed and grated some carrots earlier in the day to include in the salad.

~pepper, parsley and chives for the salad, the lavender and egg I put aside for other uses~

Here is the recipe I used for the Tabouli :

You should begin to soak the bulghar at least 3 hours before serving time. It needs to thoroughly marinate and chill.

1 cup dry bulghar wheat
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 heaping tsp. crushed, fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped scallions (I used chives)
1/2 t. dried mint (I used finely chopped fresh mint, about 2 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium tomatoes , diced (we didn't have these yet, so no tomatoes but soon)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped cucumbers (didn't have these ready yet either)
1 chopped green pepper

1) Combine bulghar, boiling water and salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand 15 - 20 minutes.
2) Add lemon juice, garlic, oil and mint and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate 2 -3 hours.
3) Just before serving add the vegetables and mix gently.

Warm wishes, Tonya

10 comments:

  1. Your garden harvest is beautiful! We are close on tomatoes as well, it is so much fun to see them turn red. We love the Moosewood Cookbook, many yummy recipes!

    Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It is supposed to be cooler today. I certainly hope so!

    I love your wreath! Precious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of my favorite recipes...i have an old, dog-eared copy of the moosewood cookbook and use it all the time! we also love the lentil and bulgar wheat salad in it..:)

    great harvest!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tonya,
    Isn't it just wonderful to be able to walk through our gardens and harvest our own produce. I really enjoy being able to do this:) Thank you for sharing your recipe.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so wonderful to make meals from the garden-beautiful produce! That Tabouli sounds delicious. It's amazing you have your own wheat! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I scored the Moosewood Cookbook at the Thirft store for a buck if you can believe it! It looks brand new. What a score :)
    I will most definitely be making that recipe. Thanks! ~Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm.....I love bulger! My husband makes a chewy-goodness loaf of bulgar bread from the Bread Bible...mmmm...
    Thanks for sharing your T recipe -- I have been following you for months now and just love how you share so much with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy I love those cool refreshing salads, and how lucky you've got great things growing!!!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete