Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Poop - Fertilizer and Potty Training

There is lots of it around our home these days - you can hear various family members reminding guests, "Don't step in the chicken poop."

One of my tasks is to gather their wonderful droppings. I scrape the top of the chicken boxes as shown below ~

I also walk around and gather the poop droppings from the yard area ~

This is so important to enhance our gardens in the coming years.

There has also been a lot of the "p" word being uttered around here as Abraham is no longer wearing diapers - you can often hear my voice throughout the day, "Abraham, do you have to go sit on the toilet, do you have to go poop?"


(Thank you so much for all of the input in the handmade holiday post about teenage boys. I will compile a summary for next Monday as well as share from other's blogs and post a new topic.)

Warm wishes,
Tonya

10 comments:

  1. Tonya, do you use the chicken poop directly on your soil, or do you compost it first? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I live in the city right now, and I've never had any animal poop to do anything with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    yes, I do let the chicken poop compost for a year before applying it to the garden. I do, though, put the poopy hay from cleaning out the chicken coop right into the walking paths in the gardens as it will decompose fairly quickly in a thin layer in the sun.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love that picture of abraham! i miss jasper's sweet wispy hair. ;) yay for potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abraham is quite possible the most adorable little boy I've ever seen (except for my own of course!)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just one of those family things...saying the P word alot. :) Abraham is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little man is precious! Yep, motherhood is glamorous! Vic xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that as a mother my conversation frequently revolves around bathroom issues and food! Those birds are prolific. Is it the camera lens or do they have some gigantic poop-all the better for a healthy garden.
    That Abraham sure is a cutie, and he looks so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How i found you i don't know, but what a lovely blog you have and oh i love your etsy shop too. i will be ordering soon.
    your baby boy looks so much like my youngest son it's amazing. how i miss that age.
    love,
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also collect all the chickens' droppings and add it to our compost heap. It makes the most amazing compost. Yesterday I read your family's journey, it was truly inspirational, thank you so much for sharing:)
    Take care
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. first of all i have to say that photo of your little guy is too cute:) i love it! and also just today i had to remind my friend three times (in a row) to not sit in the chicken poop on our driveway:) glad to know there are like minded people living with chicken poop in their yards and underfoot!!!

    ReplyDelete