Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Branch Suns


We embarked on our own creative process. I encouraged the children to paint their own circles. We used birch slices.

As they painted their branches, my brain was swirling with the possibilities. The very tips of birch branches are these lovely multi-branch pieces. With holes drilled closely together around the slice, maybe a fuller branch wreath might take shape.

Here are the children's finished painted pieces. Today they are going to finish them up and we will screw them on the top of our rustic branch fence that borders a small portion of the pond.


Here is my piece that I left unpainted and applied our homemade beeswax oil finish to the faces.

~ I applied a bit of wood glue to the ends of the each branch before putting in the drilled hole. ~

Here it is finished and hung on the side of our home (the side you see as you drive up our driveway.

Warm wishes, Tonya

17 comments:

  1. Tonya, your sun turned out beautifully! I LOVE the multi-branched full effect - it really adds interest and softens the sun. I'm looking forward to making more to adorn our fence posts too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great kid craft too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Tonya, these are just beautiful. And what a sonderful idea to place on your fance posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful and so lively! It reminds me of the sun or any other star, sea stars, a cool wreath, sea coral, so much!
    You are very creative! Thanks for sharing your art with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these--- yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. LOVE the sun's rays!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to celebrate Summer! Love it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cool! I love it. I love any kind of natural art. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply amazing . Love ur r creative works ...

    -Smita
    http://littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat project. it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out awesome! The branches really give it life. What a great welcome to have hanging right by your driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I love them! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the wreath effect! Great family craft!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhh soooo adorable!!! Little hands creating!!! So nice to see!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete