Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Fooling Around


It seems to me that these three fool around a lot, maybe I am more aware of it now that we are inside so much, but it can be hours each day.

I hear so many screeches, giggles, cries, talk of "butt cracks", and so on.  I hear the boards creaking as they dive into a pile of pillows.

I am telling myself that they must be getting something out of this.    Could they be learning negotiating skills, conflict resolution, how to communicate?  Might they be expressing their creativity while getting a bit of exercise at the same time?

And I know for sure what I am learning - to be more patient and to trust.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, the practice of cultivating patience! I also find that the indoor ruckus the kids get into requires me to really dig deeply on my patience. Thanks for showing me I'm not alone, Tonya! Happy Advent season to you!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they are certainly learning joy! What more could childhood ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least they are playing together, and not just screaming because they're not getting along. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to take a college course last summer on child development. We spent a week learning about play--and listened to a great ted talk by Stuart Brown. He talked about the importance of all kinds of play, including the rough and the "crazy" play that often frustrates me in our house. I highly recommend his talk http://www.ted.com/talks/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital?language=en and can completely agree that it takes patience and trust. I have such a hard time being patient when there is crazy play going on in the house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link! I am going to download it and watch.

      Delete