Monday, February 1, 2010

Sour Dough Starter Part III


Successful thus far, at least it appears to be coming alive nicely. After keeping the mason jar covered with a piece of muslin held on with a rubber band, in the bedroom above the living room (where our woodstove is), and where the temperature tends to keep a steady 70 degrees, there are bubbles forming and it has risen maybe 1/3 of its original height.

Today I am going to feed it a bit more than might be required to keep it going as I want to get a nearly full jar before I use half to make my first loaf of sour dough bread. I am adding 1/3 cup unbleached organic white flour and 1/3 cup warm water. And then stir it with the handle of the wooden spoon and leave in our kitchen counter now which can get cool, but I think it will be fine.

Warm wishes, Tonya

8 comments:

  1. This is nice to see your step by step instructins on making sourdough bread! I just love the pictures that go with it. Thanks for sharing, rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya, that one looks good:-) I have to try it soon, we have all been sick here and now I am getting the stomach thing right on the tail of the upper respiratory junk. Prayers for health appreciated...LOL! I look forward to seeing your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had sour dough bread since we switched to gluten free. This might be a silly question, but...can you have a sour dough started made out of gluten free flour? If so could you tell me how?

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! i should have checked in sooner. i'm starting a starter today- keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoother this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new starter! Your story about the first starter cracked me up. He thought the dog threw up!! I just began making sour dough bread again a few months ago and we have been enjoying it. Good luck on your baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! This is going to be wonderful! Will you tell us the flavor of your starter when you make your bread? Did you know you can order sourdough starter from a company in San Fransisco that is over 100 years old? That can't be as good as starting your own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also made a starter two days ago- came alive today. Just small bubbles, no rising so far (it´s only 15-19 degress Celsius in our appartment with furnaces burning, hope that is not tooo cold for it). Don´t know if I have to let it sit a little more or start feeding more, no fridge yet for sure...
    Is the Company in San Francisco or their starter themself over 100 years old, Matty?

    Tonya- just got my copy of your handwritten newsletter "Plain and Joyful Living" in today´s mail, I LOVE the little heart to come with it, still have to find some quiet time to read it today...Thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful Tonya, a favored food in our house!
    And 200 posts!! Congratulations : )

    ReplyDelete