Monday, February 8, 2010

Homestead Life

We have been joyously busy with our handwork business and sending out the rest of the winter newsletters with hand stitched hearts.

When we started our journey toward this intentional life just five years ago this October, this is the life we imagined. We had many bumps and bruises along the way and sacrifices and hardships but through it all we kept our minds on God and what plans he has for us. "Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." - Colossians 3:2. There were many times I thought that maybe Mike should just get a "real" job and we should abandon our dreams.

Choosing a less followed path has required a great deal of faith ~ faith that God would be with us every step of the way. We are continually reminded to listen to our inner voice, that of God, leading us.

Although I feel overjoyed about finding and living in our forever homestead, I just know that God has more challenges in store for me and that I will need to stretch myself even more to make a difference.

With the blessing of our home, comes the responsibility of hospitality. I am working hard on relaxing more when getting ready for company to come over. No matter how busy I am with children and business and the endless chores, it is important for our family to open our home to family and friends.

We had our third weekend in a row of hosting. On Sunday with the skating conditions perfect and having found the switch that turns on the outside lights that shine on the pond, we just knew we needed to host an evening skating and potluck. It turned out to be a great remedy for the cabin fever that has been invading area homes. About seventeen people came to share in the delicious food and to skate. It was magical to watch the children skating once night had fallen as the light shone on the pond with the big puffy snowflakes coming down all around.

A little extra work for me, yes, but worth it - worth every beautiful memory.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful to have a skating pond right out your back door! Our driveway makes a good imitation of one right now, though :) .

    I missed getting your winter issue, but I'll be looking forward to the spring one.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skating at night sounds like a wonderful winter dream. We sledded at night after a big storm right before Christmas. I'll never forget it. I'm sure your children are piling up some really special memories. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya,
    Thank you for your note, we received it today. I wrote our Spring planning for you to use if you so desire, I give you my permission to publish anything I send to you, unless otherwise stated in the letter.
    I agree I too am working on opening up our home to more company, I've never been an entertaining sort of lady, but I am finding that I'm enjoying it as well.
    Skating on your own pond, what a blessing.
    Thank you for your prayers, they give us comfort.
    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to spend a winter night. I am sure it was very magical with the lights on the pond and skating.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have a skating pond in your yard. I dream of the day we have a forever homestead of our own. I'm learning though, that the homestead can start where-ever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tonya, Your family truly is an inspiration. I am so grateful to be able to share conversation with you.
    Your evening sounds so nice. What a wonderful way to embrace winter! With love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful, a skating evening, it must have been so magical:)
    Warmly
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely way to share! it looks like an amazing time

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I were your neighbor!
    I'm really working on hospitality this year. It's a sruggle against something in my mind that says everything has to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful party! We have had sledding parties here and it is fun to have everyone over. Nothing fancy, everyone always loves to bring something:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. we love to entertain...what we could do with a pond in our backyard. that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so fun! I tend to kind of stay in my "hole", but it is really special to reach out invite people in sometimes. Like you said, in the end it's all worth it. Next time I'm coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like so much fun! I really enjoy getting together for pot lucks and such! Looks like you had a great time!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds so idyllic but I know how very hard it must be sometimes. You have a beautiful pond to skate on. Very beautiful. xo Kyndale

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember as a child we had a neighbor with a pond and they always shared the joy and fun of skating with us. Those who visited and shared the fun always brought homemade cookies and snacks to share so that it wasn't such a burden on the hosts. You are making fond and special memories for the children who visit and enjoy your pond!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tonya,
    What a wonderful time that must have been! Your children are going to have such fond memories of growing up on your farmstead! Farm life is indeed not always an "easy" life, but it surely is a good life!
    Thank you for reminding me of the sourdough recipe in the encyclopedia of country living. I can't wait to put our house back together and find all my favorite books and everything else that is scattered about!
    I'm so sorry to have missed your beautiful giveaway. You are very generous. I'm so behind on my favorite blogs in this final push of finishing up on our home improvement project.
    I hope you and your family had a wonderful weekend Tonya! Happy Valentines day!
    love,
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to share your family, your way of life and your homestead with others. I'm sure that the Lord blessed you with very fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have finally been able to spend some time reading some of your posts. What a lovely life you are creating for you and your family...how lucky we are to learn from it!

    ReplyDelete