Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesdays with Mike


Inspired by the family here, my husband is going to be contributing to this blog on most Wednesdays. Some weeks it will be based on a walk in the woods, other times about what it is like being a work at home dad and other times about homesteading and simple living from a dad's point of view.

Here is his post today~

The snow is lightly falling outside. I am in my favorite chair next to the woodstove sipping my coffee, ready to start a new day.

I have had to learn to think differently about my day in the life of running our business. I had always had a job outside the house, reliant upon other people for our income. I now have control over the decision I make throughout the day and my success is partly based on the effort that Tonya and I put in.
The biggest hurdle (please don't take that word wrong, we are truly blessed) is our family size and that Dad is present physically most of the day. Dad can't play all the time and sometimes the children might not understand that, especially the younger ones. On the other hand, there are many times where I am able to let them get involved and help. I am also learning that it is ok to mix in some fun at times. Recently, I was sanding some products and our son, Isaac, wanted to play cribbage. My first instinct was to say, "No, I am working," but instead, I agreed and sanded in between hands.
I had a revelation as I sat playing a game and working at the same time with our son at home in the middle of the day. This is pretty cool. I am in control of how I spend my minutes. I am with my family and I am having fun. They are learning it cannot be fun all of the time, but I am working on fitting some fun in when I can.
Best wishes, Mike

11 comments:

  1. Hello Mike. I doubt there is anything better for children than to have their parents close as they grow. And what could be better than having control of the way you spend your hours. I'm looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike! How lucky your children are to have you physically with them every day. My husband would have loved that. I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike! Thanks for sharing - I am very inspired by the choices you and Tonya have made for your family and home. It must have required an enormous amount of faith and courage but it really seeme to be working for you! I too am looking forward to your Wednesday posts as it is so rare to find a dad in your position and sharing his thoughts in a group that is largely comprised of women writers. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you Mike! I truly love and am inspired by you and your family, I am looking forward to Wednesdays with Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome! I love hearing from Mike! Andy can totally relate to this! Thanks for sharing Mike!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, after I posted that comment, my youngest came up to me crying say she wanted her Daddy. She is so used to him being home all the time that when he pops out for a bit she really misses him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you Mike! What a blessing that your family has you involved in their lives like you are! May God give you the grace to do all things as unto Him as you minister to them in the "everyday".

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. I have just another reason to look forward to updates on this blog now! My husband and I are in the position you were BEFORE you started your homesteading. We have a 3 year plan to get out of debt, sell our business's, and start a lifestyle like you have now. I am truly inspired by your life and am grateful you let us have a peek inside once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Mike. This is something that we are working on with our 4 year old now. I love that you found a way to "fit-in" some play time along with the work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is so wonderful the way you choose to live. Kids grow so fast and once a stage is gone, it's gone. You are truly blessed to be able spend so much time with them. I quit my career to stay home with our daughter, we made adjustments financially, but we are better people for doing so. Money isn't everything!
    I think you have a really lovely blog and a great message. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete