Well, don't leave your starter on your woodstove mantle over night! I forgot to check on it before I went to sleep and it all bubbled over...... what a stinky mess we found in the morning.
Actually, the smell was so bad that when my husband was putting more wood on the fire in the middle of the night, he feared that our dog had thrown up.
Ok, so sour dough starter part 2 -
I made it again from the beginning and now it is upstairs in the room above the woodstove where it stays a nice comfortable temperature.
So the lesson learned is do not leave your starter unattended in a very warm place.
I will keep you updated and look forward to hearing from others who are working on their own starter.