Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Use it Up Veggie Burgers

While we do spend a good percentage of our income on healthy organic food, we are also very careful to use all that we have and to make the most of the more affordable wholefood options.
One popular lunch meal in our home are these -

Use It Up Veggie Burgers

(for approximately 3 - 4 cups brown rice)

Please note: I seldom measure and so the measurements are all approximate and you will need to play with them to suit your family's tastes.

Leftover Cooked Brown Rice

Shredded Fresh Vegetables on hand (Carrots, Onions, Cabbage are what we use a lot in the winter)

1/2 Whole Wheat Flour

2 Eggs

2 T. Braggs or Organic Tamari

1 t. Hot Pepper Sauce

Combine all ingredients. When we have rice for dinner the night before I just leave the leftover in the pot. The next day I add the ingredients for the veggie burgers right to the pot.

Heat up some olive oil in the bottom of a saute pan and form patties. Drop into hot oil and cook each side (you may need to put a cover on the pan for a bit to cook in the middle).
Even the young children in our family enjoy this.
I will be sharing more tomorrow about our family's One Small Change for February, and then continue with our adventures with sour dough starter after that.
Also, keep checking because I am very close to my 200th blog post and will be offering a giveaway featuring our family's handwork.
Warm wishes, Tonya

11 comments:

  1. It looks good! Thank you for the newsletter. I received it last week and have loved it. It was so inspiring to me and I enjoyed the special recipe, too! Beautiful writings! My daughters love the 2 pencil holders for their Ferby and Progresso pencils. The wood is so soft from the Birch tree! We just keep feeling it every time we take it out for art. The crocheted hand bag is lovely. I have been wearing it around since I received it. I love the little heart that came with the newsletter. It matches my curtains in my bedroom so I hung it on my little vanity near my bed. I will be signing up for the year round newsletters~I felt so good and full of joy when I read the stories in the letter~just lovely! Thank you, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Tonya,

    The burgers look scrumptious! We, too, spend a good deal of money on healthful food for our family. We see it as "health insurance".

    Thank you for the wonderful ideas you present here; they're very inspiring!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! do you refrigerate your rice or just leave it in the pot right there on the stove? Just wondering...and do you think I could substitute soy sauce for the braggs as I don't have any of that? thanks for another use for leftover rice...most of the time i just make fried rice with our leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful. I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to your blog and enjoying it very much. Thanks for this recipe – I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your blog! Been reading for a while...this is my first post. I would assume your recipe calls for 1/2 CUP WW flour? Please clarify. I'd love to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the idea! I love, love, love the idea of keeping the rice in the pot. We are sometimes scrambling for dinner around here, and this recipe is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! i quit buying veggie burgers, but i haven't found a homemade recipe i like, either. i will try this one!
    thanks!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to try this sometime. I love the taste of veggie burgers and wondered about homemade....I have read that Americans waste a huge amount of the food they buy, so I am trying to use my leftovers more effectively. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Tonya! Thanks for the recipe!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So yummy, I can not wait to give this a try. I have been adding beans to my left over rice to serve with chips, but this sounds much better (especially since I always seem to have too many carrots and onions)

    ReplyDelete