Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Knitting and Reading



Still working on the same two knitting projects that I wrote about last Wednesday, but added one more project into the mix.  I hand painted some yarn last year and am not really sure if I like it, but don't want to waste it either.  But after rolling it into a ball and knitting it into a Plain Vest, it is growing on me.

Mike and I are reading The Resilient Farm and Homestead, An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach by Ben Falk.  It reads very much like a text book, but if you are interested in taking a hard look at what you have in terms of your homestead, and utilizing it in the most productive way while respecting the natural resources, then it is a great resource.  The authors's farm is in central Vermont so much of the information is very relevant for us, but truly much of it could be applied to any climate.  One of the points, though, is planning and doing for the long-term, the long-haul, the future.  That is one thing that because our homestead is just 3 acres, we haven't made up our mind if this is our family's long term home site.  We have pretty much maxed out the fire wood potential, for example.

There are some great things to learn from this book ( I can apply the food preservation ideas right away, for example) and even if we do end up on a new farm, we can feel good about leaving this little homestead more productive for the next family.

Joining in with Ginny.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the color of your yarn....how fun to be able to dye your own :)

    I am starting a book that you might like called Quitter by Jon Acuff.....it is about having your dream job :)

    Blessings to you!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. that knit sounds wonderful! how nice to have something so relevant to read with M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on Knitting away...and it sounds like the book has allot to offer you. I would consider myself frugal. I like to re-create. Kind of why I am knitting with Grocery bags this week.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie - The Handmade Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds lovely!! Thanks for sharing. Here's what I'm yarning...

    http://www.wegotourhandsfull.com/2013/07/yarn-along-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete