Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Knitting and Reading


I finished the Plain Vest for Emmy using some stash wool yarn and size 10 needles.  I made it a bit longer to go over some wool leggings.

On Saturday I went into town and visited the yarn shop.  I hadn't been in for several months, knowing how hard it is to go in and not come out with something.  This time the shop worker gave me a copy of the pattern Shawl Collared Cowl by Alana Dakos of NeverNotKnitting.com.
This is something I can handle - two needles!  I am using a wool blend yarn, coffee beenz from the Plymouth Yarn Company, purchased at said yarn shop - two skeins one in a blue blend and one in a toffee blend.  I love that it calls for three buttons and that I can use our handmade branch ones.

Thank you so much for sharing your simple scarf and cowl patterns last week.  I found some that will definitely work.




I borrowed these two books from the library.
The first is one I am reading aloud about mid morning to the younger children.  This is a new children's chapter book by Erdrich.  Of course I was drawn to it because of the beautiful cover but we are enjoying it very much.  This is the fourth in the Birchbark House series.  We haven't read the first three and it seems just fine to be starting with this one, although, I think I will get the first in the series next.  Have you read any of these?

The other book, Almost Home, contains the true stories of  six young people as they find their way.  Each of them being involved in a Covenant House - a homeless shelter for youth.

In the foreword by Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, NJ, there is an excerpt that I would like to share ~
"I've learned that real heroes usually aren't the kind of people you read about in newspapers or see on TV.  Real heroes are usually the ones concerned with the least glamorous of things.  In fact, I've come to believe strongly that the most heroic or biggest thing we can do in any day is a small act of kindness, decency, or love.  What frustrates me is that so often we allow our inability to do the big things to undermine our determination to do the small things, those acts of kindness, decency, and love that in their aggregate over days, weeks, and years make powerful change."

Looking forward to all of the sharing today at the Yarn Along.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

14 comments:

  1. I actually went to covenant house when I was doing an alternative spring break in college...it was heartbreaking to see the building full of homeless kids...especially the lockdown unit for homeless children with mental health issues/violence issues or the floor for homeless teen families...one girl was 15 and had 3 kids. It really makes one think about how good life is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the long sweater! The color is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the web-site with us...I can't wait to see the cowl your going to make it looks like it is going to be beautiful!! I love the color you chose for your daughters vest...too!!

    Are you going to make anything hand-made for Christmas? If so I hope you can share some with us....I need some idea's:)

    Many Blessings!!

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have read the other books in the Birchbark House Series. They are wonderful. The kids enjoyed hearing them and I enjoyed reading them aloud. In fact, I am glad I saw your post today because I did not know there was a new book in the series. Thanks for sharing.

    Love the quote by Cory Booker. I have been hearing a lot about him and from him lately. I love his perspective. He doesn't seem like a typical politician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just want to say that the plain vest is super awesome! so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, your knitting is beautiful.
    I try to limit my trips to town and especially the LYS, it is so hard to stay on budget with all the yarn fumes distorting my thinking and looking so tempting to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your Plain Vest. I had found a vest pattern I wanted to make for C, but it was in Norwegian. Bummer. I'll have to look at this one. The one you made is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color of that little vest..too cute. I would like to make one for my baby girl, or myself too, do they have an adult version?

    ReplyDelete
  9. the vest is pretty! I had to stop by and meet Tonya! ...beause that is my name!
    Nice to meet you!
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Tonya,
    I love the Plain Vest. It is so pretty.

    The excerpt you shared from the book is really touching.

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quote from the book. I am sure that is a very touching book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sweater. Thanks for sharing your book with us and some of the foreword, it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your knitted vest! Thanks for sharing about the books as well, they sound great. :)

    ReplyDelete