Thursday, April 24, 2014

Decided

I was going to come here and just say how I have decided on yarn, finally, for Nolan and Rachel's blanket - colors I wouldn't choose for myself, but colors I know she will like and with cotton yarn as I don't think either of them would appreciate wool.  But as soon as I typed the title - Decided - I realized that maybe I should share about a much bigger decision we have made.

Mike and I have been going through a nearly year long process (which has led to lots of stress) of deciding whether or not we wanted to stay here on our little homestead, working on our handwork business, building our homestead or for us to sell and Mike get a "regular" job in a more populated area.
Some of the reasons we were considering a change included:
neither of us loving this business, I mean it isn't our passion,
only having 3.5 acres with the majority of it being wetlands,
being very isolated (4 miles down a gravel road in a very low populated area),
having no access to high speed internet,
getting tired of wondering if our income can continue to sustain us and keep up with the improvements that need to be done (new roof being very important)

But over the course of the year of going back and forth, thinking we would put our house on the market and then changing our mind, we have decided to stay because:
- our home is home to us and probably worth very little to anyone else, so moving anywhere wouldn't make sense financially
- starting over somewhere else would take a lot of energy.  Our soil is finally beautiful.  When we first moved here there were no gardens and it was mostly clay.
-we have unlimited, delicious water that continually flows outside because of any overflow from our well. Even if the electricity goes out or there is a drought, we will always have water.
-it is very peaceful here.  
- we still have so much we can do here.  Work on the drainage to help the water issues, make more fenced in areas for the goats, build a new chicken coop, plant more blueberry bushes and apple trees, asparagus and rhubarb.  
- Mike and our son, Nolan, are going to rebuild our trailer and start a side business doing odd jobs for people in the area, mostly outdoor type yard jobs so that should help to relieve a bit of the financial pressure of having the handwork business being our only source of income
- We just need to be more balanced with our handwork business and work on reducing our income needs over time, such as growing and making more of our food
- Although we live in very low populated area, only around 500 - 600 people, we know so many people and that is reassuring and we do truly have a community here even though it can often feel very lonely
- With our two oldest sons just about on their own, Thomas has two more years at nearby Johnson State College and Nolan and his future wife will be living right down the road from us.   Family is too precious to pick up and leave right now.
-Finally, and most importantly, we  have freedom right now.  Our own business provides us with the flexibility to care for one another when there is sickness, go to a one of Thomas' productions on a weekday afternoon, work on homesteading chores off and on throughout the day.   
Our time together is really what is most valuable, something that if taken away can never be given back.

18 comments:

  1. The colors are lovely. I can 'hear' the peace in your writing it sounds like you made the right decision.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a follower of your blog for awhile but have never commented....wanted to pop in say hello and tell you that I love the choices you made in the blanket the colors are perfect.....also glad to hear you and your family have made a decision on your way of life... I know from experience that being away from family and friends is the hardest adjustment in life, we tried it but had to come back home! Happy crafting thankfully I do believe spring has arrived!!!!! Love your blog...
    Blessings
    from
    Rhonda in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting Rhonda. We did make the decision, nine years ago, when we moved from Mass. to be away from my parents and sister. That was and is really hard, but the trade offs are worth it.
      Warmly,
      Tonya

      Delete
  3. Love the colours! So pretty! It makes me thing of spring and flowers and new beginnings!

    We have been struggling with the same decision. We have 30 acres and this large old house that is finally in pretty good shape (over 20 years!) but very little has been done with the land. I am the farmer, not the Mister. Ultimately, I have decided to sell this house and build a small one at my parent's farm (which they have deeded to me and my sister) which already has hay fields, blueberries enough for commercial sale, and another 85 acres to grow into what we want to do. I am nearly 60, so I am looking at life through a different lens: being able to care for myself and to be free to choose my lifestyle. No debt is the driving force for me. And, with the Mister not wanting to farm, but to play music, the relocation puts us closer to large cities where he can pick up a gig or two. Looking back, I can say that my priorities have changed. And, you are wise to recognize the potential of where you are and what you are doing now. The seasons will change in life, but the choices made now will guide you to the next one in your life. To be surrounded by those you love and who love you is the best choice any of us can make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Matty, you are so blessed.
      I do, though, miss my Mom and Dad terribly. But making the decision to move up here 9 years ago, I knew that not seeing them as often was part of the deal. But I hope most of our children don't go too far - for at least too long.
      Thinking of you!
      Tonya

      Delete
  4. I love that you took a year to come to this very important decision and that you weighed all of the pros and cons of staying or leaving. Too often people make life altering decisions without really thinking it through. It sounds like you have a sold plan for your family's future and as Rain said, there is a peace in your writing about your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you joy and peace having made your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have the life so many people can only dream about. I think you are blessed.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you have been able to reach a decision. I wish you and your family all the best as you continue on. Warmly, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless your decision. I know it was made with much prayer and thought. I am glad you don't have to pull up roots though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you made the right decision. Anything worthwhile doesn't come easy. It seems as if God has "planted' you there and even though you could think of other alternatives, sometimes we already are in the place that is best for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went through a similar decision making process, independently to yours - yet its strange how similar the conclusions to stay were. For all the too-ing and fro-ing we experienced, in the end we knew that what we had started was only half finished. When we thought about selling to someone else, that's when we realised it would be difficult for anyone else to love this piece of land like we do. Because it's not easy land to love. It's taken years to connect with it and all the native animals which also call this place home.

    For you it was a wetland and for us it was slopes with very little flat land. It can feel too big sometimes to improve the landscape, and we can feel very small. But in the end, I believe this land was chosen for us because we were the right people to accept its challenges. With every act of TLC we nurture the land with, it repairs the deficiencies in ourselves. Even with money issues staring us down, we decided this was what we wanted to do with the rest of our lives. Security was always going to elude us, no matter where we set up home. Whatever financial worries we had, were always going to follow. Instead of chasing an illusion of security around, we decided to bight the bullet, and dig our heels in. This was home like no other place had been and it was worth digging in for one last time.

    I like the idea with the trailer and becoming the local handy helpers. You're fortunate to have the time to dedicate to it and that you're children are happy to be part of the enterprise. Helping yourselves while helping others, is not a bad way to earn a living. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors Tonya!! Not to feminine. I think your son and daughter-in-law to be will both really enjoy it!

    I'm happy you and Mike were able to come to a decision. I look forward to reading about Mike & Nolan's new business adventure. From your post it sound like they will be working together? I hope when our sons grow up, that one of them chooses to help my husband with our business.

    God bless you,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colors Tonya!! Not to feminine. I think your son and daughter-in-law to be will both really enjoy it!

    I'm happy you and Mike were able to come to a decision. I look forward to reading about Mike & Nolan's new business adventure. From your post it sound like they will be working together? I hope when our sons grow up, that one of them chooses to help my husband with our business.

    God bless you,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Living in the city can be just as lonely...perhaps you've forgotten this since being in the country...Mother Teresa commented that loneliness in the United States is a disease and it's worse than the poor of Calcutta...so, follow what is peaceful and remember, with all the fracking going on, there will be a terrible water shortage due to the underground water being completely polluted in this country in about 15-20 years...your well will come in handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post and picture! You make me smile with your careful thoughts and sharing.
    CathyT

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard making the right choice when money clashes with your ethics. You do your best and hope and pray a lot. I would desperately like to quit my day job and mother and knit and blog and garden all day but financially it isn't feasible yet. You're not alone in this.
    I wish you peace and many blessings now that you have made your decision.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. It can be very lonely at times. I for one know that many here keep to themselves as do you a lot of times. We all have our burdens to bear, but they are the same no matter where you go. Some suffer from pain and illness, but keep this to themselves. You have to do what is what for you...remember, you said to this me a few years back. Deb

    ReplyDelete