Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Knitting and Reading

As our days are spent more outside, I bring my knitting out too, getting to do a row here and a row there in between digging and planting.

I am working on some hats for children at the Anajali Primary School in Kenya.  It was all started by one woman from northeastern Connecticut and now she and some others make a yearly mission trip over in June to distribute various items and to help out with some projects.   This year she is asking for knit hats.  My Mom, who knows this woman and sponsors a child, sent me the flyer about the knit hats.

Here are the notes in case you would like to knit one up and get it off to me by the 20th of May.
Needles #8
Yarn:  100% acrylic in worsted weight
Pattern:
Cast on 68 stitches for small; 72 stitches for medium; 76 stitches for large
Work knit 2, purl 2 for 1 1/2" of ribbing
Then knit stocking stitch for 7" small; 8" medium; 9" large
Knit 2 together across row
Knit next row
Knit 2 together across row
Gather stitches and and sew up.
(If by chance you do, please just email me at naturalearthfarm@netzero.net and I will give you my mailing address.)

I really enjoyed Barnheart and have now started on a book that has been on my bookshelf for years - Christian Unschooling.   

I am working my way back to where my heart is, in terms of natural learning and slowly letting go of my fears.

Joining  in today with Ginny.


6 comments:

  1. I love that you are knitting hats to give away to others. Loom knit hats for Africa was one of the service projects at a women's conference I attended last week. Your books sound interesting. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's getting so big! We are having many moments at our picnic table these days, with bubbles and all. :) Love that you are knitting and making for a cause...so many people out there that need to be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of digging and planting going on at our house, too. : )

    I love your knitting project. I made up a bunch of hats last year to send to our troops--most motivating knitting I've ever done. Each stitch was made with prayers for safety and blessing.

    FYI: I've homeschooled all of my children who are now: 20, 18, 15, 12, and 6. (My oldest is a straight-A student in college.) I've written a series of posts called "Homeschool Reflections", which you can find on my blog if you scroll all the way down to the bottom--they're listed in my "Table of Contents", if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to spend more time outdoors, especially with needles in hand. :) Such a worthy project you are knitting on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christian Unschooling sounds like a great book that I will have to pick up! Letting go of my fears is a big thing for me - especially because we are really just starting this whole homeschooling journey (my daughter would be going into Kindergarten this coming fall). I often feel that she is more excited about learning when it is following her own interests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two favourite things - knitting and reading!

    ReplyDelete