Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blogging

(Our family at Nolan and Rachel's wedding)

Blogging has really been the last thing on my mind lately.  But  I miss sharing with many of you and also writing something half way intelligible from time to time as well keeping up with a photo journal of sorts of our family's life.   

I often feel like I don't have much to share as the cycle of the seasons keep repeating themselves and what I do from day-to-day rarely varies much from year to year, now that we have been on our small homestead for five years.

But there are changes, just more subtle.  For example, the gardens are producing more than ever and we are getting so much in such a small area.  All I have done is add our composted manure after each year of planting to the walking rows and around the plants and then to new garden areas the year or two before I plan to plant.   So rewarding!   

Oh and we are down to just five children living at home (from 7).     Right now there are two away with grandparents so with just 3 children, the house seems so empty and quiet.  I am catching glimpses of how our life will gradually be changing as each child goes off on their own.  

Working to balance family, community, business, homestead and handwork means for me that I don't often notice big changes and instead need to keep a record each day of what happens.  That is primarily what this blog is about.  It helps remind me of all the subtle changes, small and large accomplishments, the baby steps and big steps, attempts and failures, and of the beauty that can be found in the daily repetitiveness of our simple life.

4 comments:

  1. Life does change every day even if very subtle like.. smile.. It is hard sometimes in the everyday to find something that you think others are interested in.. A nice challenge, perhaps.. Love your pic.. Family... That is what it is all about.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya...everything you write speaks from my heart, too ~ though of course, my three kids are still young and no one is moving out anytime soon! But I have also felt the pull away from blogging lately, but I do enjoy it so much. Homesteading and gardening and homeschooling are where my energy lies, and there is very little of "me" left by the end of our busy days to sit down and create this way. But I hope this too will evolve as I miss the craftiness and projects and sharing. One day I plan to publish my blog on one of those on-line photo album sites for my kids...And one last thing, it is so wonderful to see your whole family together. Beautiful!
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a long time reader of your blog and I truly enjoy it. It's real. I enjoy seeing what you are knitting and making by hand, the books you are reading, how your garden is growing, your home school adventures and watching your children grow. The last of my children was married last weekend and even though all of our kids have been out on their own for several years now, it seems like now we have hit the true "empty nest". I often scroll back thru my blog because, although I like that others enjoy it, it really is a scrapbook of our life. Much like yours is for you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Such similar thoughts on my mind of late. Of our five children, three are married and two (15 and 13) are still at home. Time marches on. I've had a tough time of late adjusting to the new demographic I seem to be entering; so many of my friends with larger families still have little children and some are still having babies! Trying to figure out this new phase I'm in is putting me through the wringer, but I know God is working out His perfect plan in my life one day at a time and one relationship at a time. Being self-employed doesn't leave a lot of free time for blogging, but I do love it and miss it when I'm away from it -- sometimes by lack of time, sometimes just because I feel like I don't have any to say. My blog in many ways has evolved over the past five years and that's ok. I think we need to make them fit our lives and enjoy them like any other hobby. Many blessings to you and your lovely family! What an incredible photo! xo Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete