Saturday, May 17, 2014

All Day on the Homestead









 We generally make Fridays our work around the homestead day.

Yesterday was windy, about 60 degrees and cloudy - a perfect day for working outside all day.

Mike and I clipped the goats' hooves.

I planted 120 onion plants which involves getting the soil ready as I hand dig everything.  I then add compost to the walking paths and around the plants as they come up which is really to improve the soil for the following year.

So far we have lettuce, kale, beets, turnips, 12 cabbage starts and 6 broccoli starts, shell and snap peas, and carrots planted and coming up.

All of our starts, so far -  cabbage, broccoli and onion - I purchase from our local organic farm.  
Seed starting isn't something I have made part of our yearly routine.   

This morning I am enjoying the feeling of sore muscles from yesterday's work.

7 comments:

  1. I live the promise of a new spring garden...that's a pretty big hammer for such a little girl, so sweet and so intent on her task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love work days. Great picture of your goats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh....that's my idea of a great day! I work all my soil by hand too! great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent the major part of today in the garden. I have sore muscles and I'm dead tired, but I'm feeling a great sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog, and I love it. I love the plain and simple living!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's posts like this, that keep my dream of homesteading alive. One day...one day I will leave the suburbs behind and move onto our own little piece of land. To work the land and reap the fruits of my own labor. One day...until then I will keep reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete