Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So Thankful











for the abundance of food in our home right now - the pie making has begun and the plans are all made, each recipe in a folder on the kitchen counter

 that my Mom and step-father are coming from Connecticut to be with us for Thanksgiving

the trees that grow so abundantly up here in nothern Vermont that provide the material of which we make our living from

that our best seller this season so far  is the simple couple's ornament - which is nice because it  uses so little of the branch

for our children's abundant creativity (in the picture above they are carving on ice harvested from our pond)

for amazing thrift store finds yesterday - a log cabin quilt ($8.00!) and some beautiful handmade pottery (for just a couple of dollars total), and a shirt that our almost seventeen year old just loves (no worries from him about wearing used - thankful for that too!)

that our oldest son is home with us from college - all nine of us now snug in our cozy home for the week - I am remembering to be thankful for each one of them -  even among the noise and chaos

I just feel so blessed and thank God for every one of the blessings He has given me.  Practicing gratitude has been a gradual practice in my life that has now become a habit and for that I am thankful.   When all 7 of us lived in a small mobile home without electricity for over two years and I carried water, washed clothes by hand, kept our food cold with ice blocks, cooked on the woodstove - I realized that I could either be grateful for what God had provided me and look at all of the little blessings, or I could cave in and harden and be miserable.  

I just reminded Abraham and Sarah how blessed they were to be enjoying a piece of chocolate cake with milk and to be sitting in a warm house.  Sometimes it isn't always easy to find things to be grateful for and I know that sometimes we all go through trials, but practicing gratitude for even the smallest of things can truly lead to joy.

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving - it truly is a beautiful holiday to celebrate!

13 comments:

  1. Very blessed indeed. Thank you for your post of the simple satifactions, (and loves) in life. Only one of our three children will be home this Thanksgiving, but I'm trying to find the many blessings in my life too.

    Blessings,

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post...when I saw your children outside carving on their ice..it reminded me of when I was their age. I use to do that same thing:) I think I played in the grass and mud more than I ever played in my room..smile..

    I also have so many reasons to be thankful. I think the reason we both have so much is because of Christ:)

    I hope you and your family have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    Much Love,

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that taking a moment each day to be grateful has changed me, who I am, completely. I'm starting to like the person I'm becoming! May you have a beautiful Thanksgiving full of love and grace. Peace...;j

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, those are some fabulous thrift store finds! An $8.00 quilt!!!!

    But most of all I enjoyed your words of wisdom. The little blessings add up to a full heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. Wishing you and your family and wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe you got that quilt and pottery for such a price! What a great find!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving Tonya, what a wonderful post. Blessings are everywhere, are're right ~ you just need to be looking through the right lens!
    With love & blessings,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Tonya. Its a beautiful post you have shared...well spoken! You got a huge blessing in that Quilt find :) I love it.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shot of them carving the pond ice. What a fun experiment! Have a lovely Thanksgiving, Tonya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That you have created a successful habit of gratitude is very encouraging for me, as I have figured out that this is a habit I MUST create ASAP! Anything in particular that helped you? I am reading a Christian book on humility, also the book "one thousand gifts" but sure would welcome suggestions. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With warmest wishes for a happy family Thanksgiving. May you be richly blessed.
    Gail
    (from a very sunny Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Children are the best gifts I think. Lovely post. xo

    ReplyDelete