Monday, June 25, 2012

A Simple Meal


In my quest to feed my family a more plant based diet, I have been experimenting with various sauces to make our whole grains more interesting.  Taking the 30 Day Vegan course most certainly helped to inspire.


The other night I made a garlic kale stir fry.  
First, I sauteed about 7 - 8 heads of finely chopped garlic in 1 T. sesame oil (a low heat setting).

  
Then, I added - 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/8 cup organic tamari, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.  Combine all over a low heat setting.  
When the brown rice or other grain is ready to serve, add the chopped kale over the top of the sauce, put on a cover and let cook slightly for 1 minute - serve over the rice.

Right now we have lots of kale in our garden but you could certainly substitute whatever green you have on hand.  I also like to add a few cashews to my own serving.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds very good. I love cashews so that would be a good add in for me too. Glad you are finding such great ideas for healthy eating. I think our entire nation could stand to eat a lot healthier. Thanks for the post and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Tonya. That sounds delicious! I was not aware it was possible to cook with sesame oil - I normally just add it as a flavouring to stir fries. I'll have to try this some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      The oil is actually toasted sesame oil.
      I have been thinking of you lately and wondering what you decided:)

      Delete
  3. Tonya,

    Your recipe sounds great...I love Kale..really all greens. We didn't grow any this year but we do have a friend that offers us some every now and again. I will see if she has some and I will be making your recipe....

    I would love to see some pictures of your garden...

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Renee,
      I will do that this week - although I will warm you that I am not a neat and tidy gardener.

      Delete
  4. This sounds delish, and we happen to have a ton of kale in the garden right now :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kale. Yours looks like mine. And the recipe sounds really good and very healthy too. I wonder if frozen kale could be used for this? We are way ahead of y'all down here in Georgia so my kale is in the freezer. I put it in baggies big enough for fritatas and smoothies, my favorite ways to eat kale. Sounds like your garden is just getting started up there. It's been near 100 here the past week and all this week with NO chance of a rain shower at all as far as we can see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds delicious! we have kale coming out of our ears, will try this - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So simple, but this sounds so delicious! We're just starting to get kale and I'm looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to trying this. We have an abundance of kale right now. I've been looking for creative ways to use it. Thanks for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love kale. We eat a lot of it here, it is one of the greens that seems to love our Maine summers (ie, not very warm :-)). I really like this kale salad http://happyfoody.com/2008/02/12/raw-kale-avocado-salad/

    ReplyDelete