Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Deliberate Living


What does it mean to live deliberately? 


To me it means to have the freedom of choice - to choose how to live based on your ideals and beliefs.  It means making decisions that reflect these standards.  

For example, our family chooses not to participate fully in the consumer society and instead we are working towards being producers.  I cannot remember the last time I stepped foot in a walmart, for example.  I did go into AC Moore while visiting my father last February.  


Generally, though, we avoid buying new things - and we do look to local or small businesses first.  It may be a few more dollars to buy a gallon of paint at our small town hardware store, but I am so grateful that it is there when we remember at 4:00 in the afternoon that we are out of chicken grain and it is 30 minutes to a decent size town.  We chose to live in a very rural area in northern Vermont where there are simply less temptations for consumption - no walmart or department stores nearby and many others live much like we do.


We are content to live with less.  By doing so it means that we don't have to put such a large emphasis on earning money.  Yes, we have seven children to support and we do have to be realistic, but one of our goals is to learn to do more on our own or to barter so that money isn't our main focus.    This choice allows us the flexibility to spend more time with one another or to serve others - like spending an afternoon together cleaning our church.  


Renee, from the blog, FIMBY, reminded me recently "to not take for granted yesterday's plans and dreams that become routine."  As our family is at the stage of moving forward toward creating new dreams, I need to push aside times of discontent and remember that we are living our first dream - of working, learning and loving together on a little homestead down a country dirt road.

14 comments:

  1. I send you the link to Susan Branch's blog - it is written and illustrated by the artist who lives on Martha's Vineyard with her husband and two cats, Mommy & Jack. I suggest reading today's entry and then going back to see if you can find the videos she has of Jack in his kittenhood (only a few months ago)...
    It will put a smile on your face and give you an insight to "us old ladies" who have so much to pass on to our daughters, love, laughter and singing among them.
    Have a happy day and keep in mind, YOU ARE A GREAT MOM & WIFE and example (ever the example) of love and caring and BEING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post and wonderful sentiment! I would like to invite you to share at our link party for family togetherness at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/04/happy-family-times-6.html. Thank you!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always inspird by the choices your family has made - and continue to make. xoR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - this is exactly what I needed to be reminded of. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful post. we are an older couple with our children making lives of their own now. We try to live in a similar way to you but without the children. I really admire you younger people with children, making and working through the decisions you've made to live more "deliberately" Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your description of deliberate living. For those of us who strive to live more deliberately you are a true inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something I am also happy to be reminded of. Thank you! You are such an inspiration Tonya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a wonderful life you have shared with us today...I agree wholeheartedly...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. so important! money can't be the focus of the family, but sustaining ourselves is. no matter how we make our lively-hood it is sooooo important that the children feel capable of contributing. This is something that homeschooling really exemplifies! the family unit all working toward the same goals...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Tonya, I am so glad I could take the moment to visit. This is so beautiful and makes me happy. And you see I am even leaving a comment, having just sent you an email, and then you will know why I have been away... And I will still have to return and catch up more and for real...
    Love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  11. If part of your dream was to inspire and support others, you have surely succeeded. We are now living on a farm because of your support and LOVING it :) We just got two milk goats and are planning next for chickens. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful and perfectly wonderful!!! I am so amazed and encouraged to read something so close to my own heart. Our family thinks and lives much the same!! Thanks for sharing! Your likeness of mind is encouraging--we're not the only nuts in the tree! :D

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a stay at home mum who sometimes feels a bit undervalued by the world at large (not the bit of it that counts though!), I've become so much more aware of how limiting it is to see money as the reward for your labours. Of course I'm not naive, we use money and probably spend more than is necessary especially given your example, but I've learned not to see money as the focus of my efforts.
    Society as a whole doesn't seem to value my work as a mum and home educator because it doesn't generate cash; ironically if I worked in a school the same work would be 'valuable'. But that paradigm is one I'm lucky to be able to reject. The work I spend my life doing is work that will affect my children and, most probably, theirs. Perhaps when more people are able to define their lives by the achievements of their hearts and minds rather than their wallets, we'll have achieved a society worthy of our children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful and inspiring post - thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete