Monday, December 2, 2019

Monday, December 2nd



Hello friends,
Today we woke to a few inches of freshly fallen snow and all looks beautiful.

I thought I would share a little bit about our handmade and simple advent season during the days of December leading up to Christmas.


Today, it was Abe's turn to open our little advent calendar filled with milk chocolate pieces.  I bought it at our coop food store for $3.00.  This was an example of a compromise.  Not being able to buy a more expensive fair trade chocolate calendar, I did buy it at our local food coop store so that we can continue this tradition.


Each morning, Emily finds a Christmas story book wrapped under our Christmas tree for us to read and add to our Christmas book basket.  This makes it nice for me because I don't have to wrap 24 books at one time and I can also re-use the wrapping paper and yarn tie each night.

After they came in from helping to shovel and playing, I made them some hot cocoa.  For each cup of milk, add 2 Tablespoons of cocoa and 1 - 2 Tablespoons of sugar.  Whisk all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until hot.

I baked a loaf of bread and Emily made some sugar cookies.  I finished the turkey soup that was made from our Thanksgiving turkey and that is what we are having for dinner tonight.







I have added little bits of Christmas decorations throughout our home and will add more throughout the month.

Our homeschooling lessons were cut short today when a friend called to see if Emily and Abraham wanted to play as he had a snow day.  He came over to our house and then they went over to his.

The turkey soup was delicious and now I am at my secretary wood burning more ornaments.

Would love to hear about what you are making and doing during this beautiful season.

Warm wishes,
Tonya





3 comments:

  1. Tonya, I love this! I've been using some acrylic yarn from Goodwill to knit up those 1940's slippers for my kiddos. They never notice what I'm knitting (as I don't know one Pokemon from another), so I can just knit away as we do school readings. Hurrah for handmade holidays! - Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas tree is so sweet and adorable. I love it, it looks so real, there is nothing fake or gaudy about it. Thank you for sharing these photos, they are giving me some inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear all of this, Tonya. The book ritual is very sweet. I am missing having children around, I must say. I have hung our wreaths, and am doing some Advent deep cleaning, but am mostly filling orders and preparing for two small shows. My handmade holiday will mostly be making special foods and drinks later in the month. xo

    ReplyDelete