Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Moving Inward



Sometimes during the warmer days I will think to myself, "What are we ever going to do when it isn't so pleasant to be outside..."

But, little by little the inside calls us and we work on more focused activity.  Often it is handwork of one kind or another.

Emmy is in a painting phase and no matter that I try to offer her the watercolor variety, she inevitably chooses the acrylics.

Mike made some cubes for a new product and Abraham immediately related them to Minecraft and painted them accordingly.




This morning Emmy asked for purple play dough.
I make this kind using the stove top method and it keeps in an airtight container for many weeks.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 T. oil
1/2 cup salt
3 t. cream of tarter

I combine all of the ingredients on a saucepan over medium heat and stir regularly until thickens. 
(Oh my word, as I am typing this I realized I forgot the salt this morning... it still came out well but I am sure it won't keep for very long.)

I have also been downloading episodes of Popular Mechanics for Kids from youtube while I am at the library to watch with the children at home.  Abe, Sarah and Abby enjoy them.

Reading aloud has become more frequent.  I just started the original Winnie the Pooh chapter book with Abe and Emmy and since this is probably my 10th time reading it or so, the familiarity is fun!

What have you been doing inside?

4 comments:

  1. I was raised on that very homemade play dough. I can smell it and feel it all warm from the pan as I type!

    We are still working on putting outside to bed for the winter since we are in SC. Today I scraped and painted the peeling trim on the lower story of the house. I don't do ladder work so hubby has to do the upper. We will be inside very soon. I have some new tablecloths to make with some thrift store fabric and a book I want to read first off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know your family liked Minecraft. My daughter has a Minecraft Podcast every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is he making Steve or a Creeper : ) I am glad the weather is getting cooler just not ready for the snow : )
    I hope you share some of your handmade Christmas gifts...I am always looking for something to make the men in my life. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love making homemade play dough. I make it for my granddaughters. I love moving indoors and everyone making hand crafts together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tonya,

    I have a question about your play dough. Cream of tartar, is that some kind of rising ingredient? I don't think we have this in belgium? can I use bicarbonate or something else to replace the tartar?

    Thanks

    I heard on the new today about the very cold weather in the US. Hope you are all daoing well and staying warm.

    Warmly
    Ilse

    ReplyDelete