Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chocolate



As we have slowly inched our way over the years to healthier eating habits,  there remains one food group that remains a part of our days - sweets.

I have made some very small changes such as adding less sugar to my basic cookie recipe, making  a healthy granola bar with coconut oil and maple syrup, and then simply choosing to eat smaller portions for dessert.

One of sweet in particular, that does tend to makes an appearance daily in some form is - chocolate!



This was a recent dessert created in a joint effort by Abby and myself.
The basic cake is the recipe, Basic Mixture for Cupcakes, from one of my favorite cookbooks, Forgotten Skills of Cooking.

The chocolate sauce is a wonderful new find - no more plastic chocolate sauce bottles in our house.  It stores well in a canning jar in the refrigerator.

My Granny's Chocolate Sauce

1 1/2 c. sugar
4 T. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1/4 t. salt
1 c. water
Mix dry ingredients, then add water and cook until smooth and thick.  Add 1 T. butter and 1 t. vanilla.  




This book, Abby found at a thrift shop for $1.00.  We have already made the fudge chocolate cake and today Sarah made Chocolate Souffle Tart.

We are spoiled for sure.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my! That looks terribly tasty! And l would love to flip through that book! "tragically" l have had to give up chocolate as it sets of my migranes...but l love looking at chocolate recipes though, and making them for the family at weekends. Fudge is an overall favourite so that fudgecake sounds jummy :-)! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I, too, am a lover of chocolate. I have been all my life and at 53 I don't see that changing soon. I will definitely be making your recipe for chocolate syrup. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks delicious. It is hard to give the sweets up if one has a sweet tooth:-) Have you tried the chocolate sauce from Nourishing Traditions? At first when I saw the ingredients I thought this is gonna bomb. But, I was pleasantly surprised that it is soooo good. And the bonus is no unnatural sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Forgotten Skills - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm. We love chocolate in this house and I think this post has inspired me to make the chocolate peppermint pie out of Ashley English's book "A year of Pies". Looking forward to some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I'm so in love with chocolate...especially the dark kind....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, boy, do those look good! I am a devoted chocoholic, and the rest of the family are not far behind me. One change I have made is to switch to fair trade chocolate and cocoa. It is definitely more expensive, but once I learned that most chocolate we get in the US depends on forced labor, and especially child slavery for its reasonable price, I felt I had to make the change. I mostly buy from a company that gives much-needed employment in our area, so that is a good feeling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mitty,
    I agree 100% - since chocolate is a luxury - we also support fair trade and/or local and usually organic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh that chocolate fudge cake looks decadent! my family and i are real foodies...but so love our dessert!

    ReplyDelete