Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Knitting and Homesteading





I am still working on the Boneyard Shawl - just loving the simplicity.  Now I am wondering when to stop?  How large do I want it?  I am going to keep this one for myself but I would like to start another for someone special for a Christmas gift.

Also, so not to get too bored, after cleaning out a yarn drawer, I found myself with many little left over balls of Peace Fleece and started knitting another Plain Vest in stripes.

As far as reading, I took a book off of our bookshelves to re-read, How to Live on Almost Nothing and Have Plenty by Janet Chadwick (1979) and am really enjoying it this time.  It is neat when you pick up a book you haven't looked at for a couple of years and find all kinds of ideas and tidbits that would work for where you are in life now, but probably didn't when you last read it.  Does that make sense?

Our family has something exciting going on - some plans for the future - and much of the plans involve getting more immersed in the homesteading lifestyle - and to share our skills with others.  I will be sharing our new dreams in the coming months here.

Joining in with Ginny today for the Yarn Along.


14 comments:

  1. excited to hear about your new plans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds like a great read and I do know what you mean about picking up more tidbits from a book after a few years, I do the same thing with the Tightwad Gazette.
    I can't wait to hear your news, my interest is peaked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the stripey vest. It's beautiful. And I think I need to add that book to my list of books to look for (I wonder if I could still find it). And...your plans intrigue me. Can't wait to read more about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a good read - and pretty much sums up how we do things! :) Nice shawl! I've recently begun Christmas crafting as well, even though it is nearly 100 degrees outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about the shift in perspective, when I look back on how much we've learned over the last year it feels like we've come so far. Things that seemed a world away when we read about them suddenly make sense and seem possible. This country life is so full of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like that book would be a good read.... beautiful knitting projects...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sound of your book. Looking forward to your news :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to hearing with the exciting new plans are!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back online & getting caught up!

    I love the title of that book. I haven't heard of it but it sounds like one I'd like to read. The glimpse of shawl looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the knitting! I need to pull out my needles. I've been doing more sewing than knitting lately. Can't wait to hear what you have in the works...but I'm sure it will be awesome. Have a wonderful end to your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book sounds very interesting indeed. Your vest is gonna be very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The book looks really interesting! I love any book about living with what you have and making life better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tonya, I am so excited to see your finished boneyard! Mine is two skeins of cascade eco-wool, which are over 400 yds each. But, I am very tall, and wanted a very big shawl.
    The color of yours is just lovely. :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tonya,
    That book looks like one I would enjoy.
    Love seeing what you're knitting.

    Love,
    Taryn

    P.S. I am always delighted when you leave a comment and say hello. I'm amazed you can knit and nurse at the same time. :) Bracken is too grabby with my knitting for that these days.

    ReplyDelete