Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New Chicken Coop


for many years we used this former children's play house that we found for free on the side of the road nearby where we lived in Massachusetts (that was 7 years ago)

Having to stoop over to clean it, put in the food and water and gather the eggs made it rather difficult and uncomfortable.

Mike built an attachment on to the small rustic barn that was here when we bought our property.  He used hemlock from our homestead and rough sawed lumber from a small mill down the road

They have a much larger fenced in area to romp.




But what I love most is that I can stand upright and walk around the inside coop!  
Who would have thought it would be exciting to be able to scrape the poop into a bucket with a hoe - - - gather the eggs with out banging my head - - - and the chickens have lots more space.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really cool! Good job Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started out with our chickens years ago in almost the same way. A cast off play house that was only about 4 feet tall. I remember how happy I was once my husband built them a more "proper" coop and I too could stand upright to tend them! Looks like a great setup you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And I bet your chickens like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya, I am shameless to admit I have coop envy!!! It has been four long years waiting for our coop to be built, but my husband always has a long list on the Honey-Do List, and the coop keeps getting shelved. I will show him these pictures. Thanks for inspiration,
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raising chickens has been so much fun for us. Your "girls" look very happy with their new house and yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I'm sure it's MUCH nicer to not have to stoop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - not having to stoop is one of my dreams for our wee "farmette"! By any chance could you post a photo showing the whole thing from the outside a bit farther back and maybe on a few sides? I'd love to see the "big picture". Coyotes are howling, chickens are ducks are shut up for the night and my 8.5 year old daughter is three miles away at her first sleepover camp night. Sniff sigh yippee sniff sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit I've employed child labour in my efforts to avoid the stoop and scuffle for eggs! My eldest son earns a modest amount of pocket money (we sell a lot of our eggs) for his daily work and is already learning the value of a dollar. I think your coop looks just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete