Friday, May 15, 2009

Laundry


Clothes Dryers use 5 - 10% of residential energy use. Taking the time to hang wet clothes outside can be enjoyable, good for the environment, naturally remove stains, and leave a pleasing scent in the clothing.

Don Laughlin described the clothesline as a "linear solar fabric dehydrator in the backyard."

Also, there is an advocacy organization called Project Laundry List at laundrylist.org.

We just use a very simple line made of rope hung between trees. Nothing fancy here!

Warm wishes,
Tonya

3 comments:

  1. My husband grabbed some lumber and threw up a nice clothes line for me. We used lumber because our trees are no where that you could have a clothesline. So, we created one.

    I love the smell of my clothes that come in from the line. You don't need chemicals to make that fresh laundry smell when they hang outside. God makes that fresh laundry smell naturally. Hehe.

    Also, the kids can play in the yard when you hang clothes. They get fresh air, exercise, and you get your work done with little concern about what they are getting into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes... I agree. When I have lots of chores to do inside, I know I can at least look forward to my time hanging the clothes outside. Also, bringing our 15 month old to play outside while I hang is good for him and me.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have a family of eight and I have been hanging all of our clothes out for a number of years now. One benefit I have particularly noticed this year is that I have learned to go outside and feel the weather. Somehow I have rediscovered the innate ability to feel if it is going to rain too soon for the laundry to dry or not. I can't look out the window. I have to go outside and feel. It has become automatic. I am delighted by this and it has certainly come in handy during this incredibly rainy spring!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete