Monday, March 5, 2018

Just Catching Up

 

I can't believe it has been nearly a month since I posted.  From this day forward, I am making posting regularly a priority.  Just last night Sarah was looking through the blog's archives and showing everyone pictures from five to eight years ago and we all laughed and were amazed at how everyone has changed.   So not only do I want to share bits of our life with all of you, but I want to preserve our family's growth and milestones.

We have been collecting sap and have, so far, have made nearly 2 quarts.  I also planted lettuce on February 21 and they are growing so well.  I used organic potting soil and planted in salad mix containers that I have been saving this winter.  I have since planted more lettuce and will keep starting more every 2 weeks or so.  I also planted onions and they are coming along well.



These are what we use to collect sap - it may not be pretty - but it was free.



Here is what it looks like in our backyard today.  Those are piles of compost on one of our garden areas.  The snow is nearly gone but we are supposed to get quite a storm this coming Wednesday night into Thursday.



I posted this page as part of my instagram post today and was asked where I found it.
Here is the link.    We fold three pieces of copy paper in half and make little booklets to make our monthly "books".  Randomly throughout the month we add a poem, a drawing, etc...




"March winds and April showers bring
forth May flowers."

And it has been windy here!  There has been all kinds of kite making.  None of the prototypes have been to Abraham's approval, but he keeps trying and researching.  

This afternoon, Abby led Abe and Emmy with some windy tarp play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How are you getting ready for spring?

Warm wishes,
Tonya

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maple syruping! I am looking forward to doing that soon. We didn't end up doing it last Spring and I missed not just the product but also the doing of it. We used to do the milk jugs as well but then my parents switched to 5 gallon buckets which my dad was able to get free as well - the tubing wasn't free however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful life you are leading. I've never collected sap from trees. It's very Little House in the Big Woodsish. ~smile~
    Please drop by and say hello!

    ஐღ Laura ღஐ

    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am

    on a short shoestring budget!

    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing everyone already in spring mode. I am not there yet, we still have months of snow and I have made peace with this over the years, so I am trying to enjoy what we have left of winter which is actually a fantastic period once the temperatures become a little milder. Hope the storm passes swiftly! Have a great week Tonya.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting - maple syrup! I love your March page - they look like a wonderful resource to give them lots to think about and do.

    ReplyDelete