Saturday, January 31, 2015

A New England Yarn Journey



Our family has been working toward being more aware of the food we eat - choosing local and organic when possible. In addition, we are creating nutrient rich soil and planting and growing more of our own each year.

I want to transfer these same principles to my work with fiber.    I have found it becoming too easy for me  to buy inexpensive yarn and to buy more than I actually need.  Instead, I would like to purchase and create with yarn that is ethically raised, uses no to few harmful chemicals, supports small family businesses, and is local if possible.  

Thus, I am embarking on a New England yarn journey where I am going to learn about small farms in New England that raise a flock of sheep or other fiber animals and sell their fiber.

I am looking forward to the connections I might make and the feeling of knitting and creating with fiber that meets most of these criteria.

I hope you will join me as share this new creative path.

11 comments:

  1. I love this yarn company that is out your way in Maine https://www.etsy.com/shop/LanaPlantae. They also plant dye all their yarn too, mostly from plants they grow themselves. I'm saving to buy some of their sunny marigold dyed yarn. Have fun on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion Ann!

      Delete
    2. I just visited this website Tonya...and it is exactly what all of us knitters, with a heart for the environment, want. It is not as pricey as others might be. Thank you Ann for sharing the link. mari

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Tonya! I look forward to seeing what you find on your journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend here in VT, who has gorgeous yarn from her own sheep. I'd be happy to give you her name and the name of her farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds such a good idea. I try to mostly knit acrylic yarn after seeing a horrific video posted on on a of the animal rights websites. Trouble is in not so sure if acrylic is environmentally sound. It's a difficult decision. I would be much happier k knitting wool if I could source it locally

    ReplyDelete
  5. acrylic is made from oil isn't it?
    Maybe try craft yarns from flocks who are sustainably (and happily) reared. Or learn to spin! I am the wrong side of a large ocean but I always have spare Jacobs fleeces to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a very exciting journey, Tonya, I hope you will enjoy every bit of knowledge gained and every new stitch made :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my all time favorite yarn dealers!

    http://www.riversleafarm.com/

    I love everything Liz makes! She is a dear, dear person. Warm, friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable! Get to know her... and think of me when you go! I haven't seen her in three years... :(

    Matty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear about the farms that you try yarns from! I am fortunate to have a friend who sells yarn (and shares a booth with me at craft fairs) and we often barter. :) I'd share her info, but she doesn't have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! I will definitely follow you on your fiber journey!

    ReplyDelete