Preserving the Harvest.
Pungent Green Beans
(Need a boiling-water-bath canner and the recipe will make approximately 5 1-pint jars)
3 lbs. green beans, washed and trimmed
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
3 cups white wine vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon celery salt
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Cut the beans to a uniform size. I cut them to about 2 - 2 1/2 inches.
2. Cook the beans in boiling water until just tender, about 4 - 5 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
4. Add the water, vinegar, sugar, celery salt, and pepper to the onion mixture and boil until the sugar has dissolved.
5. Add the beans and boil in the vinegar mixture for 2 minutes.
6. Ladle into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.
7. Seal and process in a boiling-water-bath canner for 15 minutes.