Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Two Needle Mitten Knitting Pattern


This pattern is modified a bit from a free pattern sheet I picked up at my local yarn shop. (by Red Heart yarns).

I have not become a multi - needle knitter yet, nor do I use circular needles yet. With constantly picking up and putting down my work with six children and various household tasks weaving their way throughout my day, I have simply preferred to stick with two needle patterns.

What I like about this pattern is that you don’t even have to worry about a left handed or right handed mitten!

Using worsted weight yarn and sizes 4 and 6 needles

These directions are for Toddler, Child, Women, Men

Mitten Cuff: With size 4 needles cast on 23 (27, 35, 41) stitches. Work in ribbing as follows: Row 1: K1, P1 Row 2: P1, K1
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for 2 ( 2 ½, 3, 3 ½ ) inches (or until desired length – I like to make the cuffs long for my children)

End on a Row 1. Change to size 6 needles and work in plain Stockinette stitch, beginning with K row for 2 (2, 4, 4) rows from end of rib, end in P row.

Shape Thumb Gusset: K 11 (13, 17, 20) stitches, place marker, K in front and back and front again of next stitch (3 stitches in 1 stitch), place marker, K 11 (13, 17, 20) stitches – there are now 3 stitches between markers.

Next row: Purl
Next row: K to marker, slip marker, K in front and back of next stitch, K to last stitch before next marker, K in front and back of next stitch, slip marker, K to end of row – 5 stitches between markers. Repeat last two rows until there are a total of 7 (9, 11, 13) stitches between markers – (29, 35, 45, 53) stitches.

Hand: Knit first 11 (13, 17, 20) stitches, place next 7 (9, 11, 13) stitches on a holder; turn and cast on one stitch, turn and knit across remaining stitches. (11, 13, 17, 20)

All sizes – Work even in Stockinette Stitch on 23 (27, 35, 41) stitches until mitten measures 5 ½ (6 ½, 9 ½, 10 ½ ) inches from the beginning or 1 ½ inches from desired length to tip of mitten.
Decrease Row 1: K3, K2together; repeat across – 16 (20, 28, 32) stitches
Purl 1 Row
Decrease Row 2: K2, K2together, repeat across – 12 (15, 21, 24) stitches
Purl 1 Row
Decrease Row 3: K1, K2together, repeat across – 8 (10, 14, 16) stitches
Purl 1 Row
Decrease Row 4: K2together across 4 (5, 7, 8) stitches
Cut yarn, leaving a long end; weave through remaining stitches, draw up tightly and sew seam

Thumb:
Knit across 7 (9, 11, 13) stitches on the stitch holder, increasing 1 stitch at each end of the row (9, 11, 13, 15) stitches. Work even until ¾ (1, 1 ¼, 1 ¾) inches from beginning of thumb.
Repeat decrease from row 3 above
Purl 1 row
Repeat decrease from row 4 above.
Cut yarn, leaving a long end; weave through remaining stitches and draw up tightly then sew thumb seam.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

10 comments:

  1. very nice! I've only made one pair of mittens...I need to try another pair. I like the yarn that you used...very tweedy and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute. I haven't knit mittens yet, but it's on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really cute. Someday I'd like to learn how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this! I have been looking for a flat two needle mitten pattern. :) I don't know how to use multi needles either, but I have done circs and I am not that fond of them at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful mittens Tonya! My mom has been asking me for a mitten pattern so I will have to share this with her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I love you. You know how long I've been hunting for a good pattern? I had one but I lost it.

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much for sharing this pattern with everyone ..I too have been looking for a two needle pattern for mittens for years...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this. Two needle toddler mittens are hard to find. Making these for my grandkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. my oh my, my first attempt at knitting was one day 53 yrs ago when my son was saying his prayers. He prayed someone bring back his mittens which were stolen at school. Like most first graders he did not think about it until he was laying down or going out the door. I had never knitted a thing either on one, two or mulitiple needles. I had a skein of yarn and needles of all sorts laying on a shelf. That night after putting three children to bed I got that green and white learn how book out and knit him three mittens all on four needles in the round. It is easy. Knitting has been my passion ever since. I know knit anything and everything. I also have a yarn and pattern fettish. My whole sewing room is full of yarns I find on sale and if beautiful I get it for that next project, there is always some project in need by someone.
    In Ogema Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done a lot of knitting, but just plain don`t like
    using double pointed needles, or circular, seems like to
    much work.
    Am very glad to have found this pattern, simplifies the
    work of doing just some extra mittens for gifts.
    Many, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete