Friday, October 23, 2009

Needle Felted Banner


I have been working on this for the upcoming birthday celebration tonight. We are having a party for dear husband this evening. His birthday is actually tomorrow, but we are off to Massachusetts for my father's 60th birthday celebration.

I (with the occasional help of a child or two) needle felted inside a heart cookie cutter. The key (as my nine year old daughter informed me) is to keep flipping the cookie cutter over. Needle felt a bit on one side and then flip over and keep repeating until nice and firm you have the desired thickness. Then each letter is needle felted while still inside the cookie cutter.


After I finished all of the letters, I strung a sharp, larger sized needle and threaded with a long piece of hemp. I first strung a larger wooden bead on the end and tied in place. Then with the needle, string right through the side of the heart, add a small wooden bead, and continue.

Here is the birthday cake. I took out the cake decorating supplies and had numerous requests from the children to have a turn at decorating. I, of course, said yes. (Someday, I do look forward to decorating cakes myself, but for now I think a child-made cake is just perfect).

May your weekend be filled with beauty and love.


Warm wishes.

Tonya



14 comments:

  1. That banner is soooo cute! I'm sure your hubby will love it. The cake is adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I just posted a simple craft where you make roses out of maple leaves using only leaves and floral wire. You're family might be interested in making some of these. Go to www.homeasteadwannabes.blogspot.com if you are interested.

    Have Blessed Day,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat Tonya! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I'm so going to use this idea! I love it! I'm receiving a lovely order of wool roving from Peace Fleece in a few days so I'm going to scrounge through my cookie cutters and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! That turned out really cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that banner! I loved this idea after reading your newsletter and plan to do the cookie cutter felting with my 5 year old some time in the next few weeks. She is so excited because I have not let her use the needle yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really LOVE your banner! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous idea! We love to felt, and we have a birthday coming up next week. Looks like a fun project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous idea Tonya!
    It is a beautiful thing to make such meaningful traditions with family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful banner! We have friends who gave us a tutorial in felting. We actually made a tea cozy for a friend we all have in commons b-day. Their girls each felted a doll and one felted a horse, now mind you these were 3 dimensional figures. They took them to the farmer's market and had so many orders they were afraid they'd never get them filled for Christmas( which is why many were ordered, for gifts) The possiblities are endless and with the creativity your family has you'll be busy too!

    Our family tradition for B-days is that the b-day person gets to pick the entire menu for the day, plus what kind of cake or dessert. They also get to pick a special activity, such as a game to play, movie to watch, or take a drive or hike. This was the gift, to be very special on their special day. Jon even at 21 yrs of age asked for his special cake and supper meal. It seems that this is a tradition in which I pray will be continued in their own families.

    Blessings for your weekend of b-days,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to make a birthday banner...I love the felted style of yours! It'll be great to use for all your birthday celebrations! Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having done a bit of needle felting myself--and understanding how much stabbing of fingers can be involved--I can see how much love went into that banner! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such lovely contributions to a birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete